The all-new Genesis G80 makes established premium mid-size sedans blush with its array of not-yet-seen-before tech features.
The all-new Genesis G80 has made its online debut at the company’s head office in South Korea earlier today. And for those who have not known about it yet, Genesis is Hyundai’s luxury arm, similar to what Acura is to Honda and Infiniti is to Nissan.
And although the sharp exterior design may not rock the boat as much as to what its parent company had done with its newer models, the all-new G80 features Genesis’ new quad-headlight design language first shown on the GV80 flagship SUV.
Likewise, the interior design of the all-new G80 carries the familiar look sporting the two-spoke multi-function steering wheel, a heads-up display, a 12.3-inch cluster and a 14.5-inch infotainment system display. Also, the Genesis integrated controller for HVAC controls, a rotary-operated electronic shift dial and touch-and-write infotainment system is also carried over from the SUV.
The all-new G80 gets two turbocharged petrol and one diesel engine at launch:
- 2.5-litre turbocharged Inline-4: 300 bhp, 430 Nm of torque
- 3.5-litre turbocharged V6: 375 bhp, 540 Nm of torque
- Diesel 2.2-litre Inline-4: 207 bhp, 450 Nm of torque
For the Korean market, all engine variants will come with rear-wheel-drive as standard, while the electronic all-wheel-drive system will be fitted as an optional extra. Regardless, all engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Genesis says the all-new G80’s new body gets a 125 kg weight loss as compared to the outgoing model.
However, the all-new G80’s drivetrain isn’t the model’s highlights. In keeping with the brand’s safety platform, the all-new G80 applies standard state-of-the-art, advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) include:
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA II) : This system helps assist the driver in a wider variety of situations than before, including during lane change maneuvers when the turn signal is used, and when others merge in front of you.
- Smart Cruise Control with Machine Learning (SCC-ML): A world first, SCC-ML, as applied to the GV80 SUV earlier this year, incorporates artificial intelligence (AI) within the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) feature that helps the car to independently learn the driving characteristics of – and assist – its driver.
- Pre active Safety Seat (PSS): This adjusts a passenger seat to a safe position by pulling the seatback forward in order to keep the passenger safe in the event of a forward collision or sudden braking/turning.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): This system may help automatically bring G80 to a stop in certain situations where there is a risk of collision with an approaching vehicle detected on the left or right side of the intersection. G80 may also help detect potential collision risks in certain situations where a pedestrian is detected in close proximity to the vehicle while in motion, for example.
- Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA): BCA is essentially a Blind Spot Monitor with active capabilities. BCA helps reduce the chance of potential impact with a moving vehicle and may alert the driver if a vehicle is detected in the driver’s blind-spot.
The G80 offers a suite of new technology features focused on the owner’s lifestyle, home, smart devices and preferences. These includes:
- The Remote Smart Parking Assistant (RSPA) provides remote drive or reverse functions that facilitate parking in narrow spaces, as well as perpendicular parking and parallel parking. This can be controlled within the car or outside, remotely via the key fob.
- The 12.3-inch 3D cluster recognizes the driver’s eyes and provides various driving information and can also be converted to 2D screens on the driver’s preference.
- The Genesis Integrated Controller allows users to set destinations or enter phone numbers by simply writing on the main control centre instead of complicated keyboard input.
- A 14.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system integrates with the Genesis Integrated Controller to support AR navigation, Genesis QuickGuide, Genesis Carpay and Valet mode.
- Genesis CarPay, a feature unique to the South Korean market currently, helps to simplify out-of-car payments like refuelling. It is a simple in-car payment service that allows drivers to easily pay through the navigation screen without the hassle of separately using cash or a credit card.
- The Valet mode is a function that enhances security so that users’ personal information does not appear on infotainment screens when using a Valet parking service.
- Home Connect (Car-to-Home, Home-to-Car) functionality that integrates with smart home technology features and applications
- Phone Connectivity including Android Auto and Apple Car Play
- Over-the-air, wireless updates to the navigation system.
Moreover, the all-new G80 also comes with luxury-focused items include:
- The driver’s seat is equipped with an ergo motion seat function featuring seven air cells, which enables optimum seating for each driving mode and reduces fatigue via a stretching mode and automatic posture correction functions.
- Ambient mood lamps applied throughout the interior add sensitivity to the passenger space in various colours.
- The Lexicon sound system allows passengers to enjoy the vivid sound effects of a concert, such as “Quantum Logic Surround Audience Mode/Stage Mode,” adding to the joy of listening.
- The first row HVAC system allows the driver to adjust the heated/ventilated seats in the second row. Also, passengers in the second row can adjust the air conditioning mode/temperature independently of the first row. (* Airflow controlling of the first and second row is synchronized.)
- From a sound standpoint, Genesis has enhanced the engine’s sound with its Active Sound Design (ASD), standard on G80 gasoline engines, adding an additional level of customization.
- The dual rear-seat touchscreen displays, allow right and left rear seat passengers to use video and audio inputs independently, enabling them to enjoy the content that suits their preferences.
- An automatic, twin-filter air purification system is applied to the G80 which activates an air cleaning mode when cabin sensors detect certain fine-dust thresholds.
The all-new Genesis G80 goes on sale today in South Korea and the second half of the year in other markets, starting with North America.