Hyundai Kona facelift with new Smartstream G2.0 engine
The Hyundai Kona facelift is now in Malaysia. There are two trim levels offered, the base-spec Kona 2.0 and the mid-spec Kona 2.0 Active. The 2.0-litre Nu engine and six-speed automatic transmission have been replaced with a new 2.0 Smartstream G2.0 engine and Smartstream IVT gearbox. Engine output remains the same at 148bhp and 180Nm of torque. Also new is the Remote Start function, which gives the convenience of starting the car from a distance.
Other updates from the earlier Kona are as follows:
- new front and rear bumper designs
- new design Cascading front grille
- new headlight, fog light and rear light designs
- new rim patterns
- new centre stack design
- seven-inch infotainment monitor replaced with eight-inch
- new 10.25-inch digital TFT LCD instrument panel in 2.0 Active
- new electronic parking brake
- wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
In addition to the Normal, Eco, Sport and Smart options for Drive Mode, there are now also three Traction Control Modes, Snow, Mud and Sand to improve the Kona’s grip on slippery surfaces. TCM automatically selects the right gear and manages torque output to each wheel to minimise wheel slip.
The higher-spec 2.0 Active now gets Hyundai SmartSense autonomous safety features, an upgrade on the Blind-Spot Collision Warning (BCW) and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW) previously. Hyundai SmartSense includes
- Blind-Spot-Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Lane Following Assist
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist
- Hight Beam Assist (HBA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Rear Occupant Alert (ROA)
- Safe Exit Warning (SEW)
The 2.0 is available in four colours, Chalk White, Galactic Gray, Pulse Red and Surfy Blue, with black fabric seats. The 2.0 Active is comes in five colours. Smurfy Blue, Ignite Flame and Misty Jungle have black leather seats while Dive in Jeju and Dark Knight are paired with light beige leather seats with red contrast piping.
The new Hyundai Kona is RM119,888, while the Kona Active is RM136,888. Prices stated are for Peninsular Malaysia, including road tax and excluding Insurance. The Kona is imported from Korea.
New Hyundai Kona 2.0 Active
Hyundai Kona 2.0